Created on October 15th, 2012
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spice.
2) Cut the butter into cubes. Using a pastry cutter work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.
3) Stir in the chopped apple and cinnamon chips.
4) In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and applesauce.
5) Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together.
6) Gather dough together and place on parchment paper dusted with flour. Gently pat dough into rectangle.
7) To make the topping: Stir together the coarse sugar and cinnamon. Brush each circle with milk, and sprinkle with the topping.
8) Using a knife or cookie cutter, cut dough into shapes and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
9) Brush each shape with milk and sprinkle with sugar topping
10) Place scones in oven and bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
11) Remove the scones from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan. Serve warm. When they're completely cool, wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to several days.
12) Scones can be made in advanced and refrigerated before baking.
Yield: 12 scones.